Saturday, January 30, 2010

Going Over-Seas... to buy or make?... that is the question!

I have way too many family and friends with birthdays in January! This year I planned to make my Dad a nice card. So I went to the local card shop to look at some there for ideas and inspiration. Well I found one that I liked the look of and had a sentiment that was perfect! So I decided to just buy it and send it rather than making one. After all my Dad lives in Portugal so I wanted to get it in the post sooner than later.

Well my Mom and her hubby live in Australia and his birthday is in January too. So I went looking for an appropriate card to buy and send... again wanting to mail it as early as possible so it would arrive on time. Well I could not find anything suitable that I was happy with... so I decided to make him one!

Funny how things work out.

I spent forever working to make this just right, (even though it may look simple). I used my Cricut (Everyday Paper Dolls) to cut the tree, the landscape and the kangaroo. I used my Big Shot Express with a Cuttlebug folder (Swiss Dots) to dry-emboss the tree top. The balloon and party hat I made by hand. The fuzzy on the hat is a tip of Chenille that I cut and shaped. I used a clear epoxy sticker to accent the balloon and real string too. The "Happy Birthday" was computer created and then gone over with (Stickles) glitter-glue to make it pop better. The tree and the bottom edge of the card were embellished using "Flower Soft". I used (Tattered Angels) Glimmer Mist and (Tsukineko) Walnut Ink Antiquing Solution to distress the landscape. Stampin' Up cardstock was used, along with their chalks (to give the kangaroo some dimension), and their markers (to accent the kangaroo and the tree trunk). Oh, and the edge of the landscape layers were distressed using the (Close To My Heart) distressing tool.

I know, I know... could I used any other products, tools and techniques? The variety is what makes this simple looking project take time to create. Well we crafters see all these cool supplies and all the newest tools come out on the market, we buy them, collect every kind of everything that's out there... at least now I am beginning to use my stash!!

No comments:

Post a Comment